R&D Tax Claim Support
The UK government has, in the last two decades, introduced significant tax incentives to encourage companies to invest in R&D activities, creating valuable IP and providing skilled jobs.
R&D tax credits
These are now well established and have been made increasingly generous, particularly for SMEs. However, there is evidence that a number of small companies who would be eligible to make a claim have not yet done so. Larger companies can also benefit significantly, and it is important that they revisit their R&D activities regularly to ensure that they are maximising their claims.
R&D tax relief is a routine and uncontroversial government incentive scheme designed to reward businesses who are attempting to innovate through the development and improvement of products and processes. It offers a cash benefit of up to 33% on qualifying expenditure.
This means that if you were to spend £1,000,000 on qualifying R&D projects you could receive a tax refund of £247,000 (profit making business) or a tax credit of £333,500 (loss making business).
A successful claim will result in a refund paid within around 4-6 weeks of the R&D claim being submitted to HMRC, so this is an effective means of improving cash-flow.
HOW WE CAN HELP
Our R&D tax experts have practical experience in preparing and submitting R&D claims for businesses in all relevant industries, sectors and strategic markets.
- We can assist your business to file an R&D claim
- Manage the claim submission process
- We can also review previous R&D tax claims where expenses may have been underestimated
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- R&D tax relief claims are made for retrospective expenditure – a business can claim for R&D costs within its last two accounting periods. So, you can make a claim for work that has already happened and can get cash back quickly.
- R&D relief is available for many businesses – a common misconception is that it is limited to pharmaceuticals and high technology businesses, it is not. We have filed claims for a wide range of businesses, including, food packaging businesses, retail finance providers, ice cream manufacturers, automotive dealerships, transport and electrical engineering companies and architects.
- There are a wide range of costs which can be included in an R&D claim, including salary and payroll costs (i.e. NIC/PAYE), consumables (items used to develop the new product or improvement), subcontractor costs and overhead costs such as lighting and heating.
- R&D claims can be created and submitted in short time frames – leading to a fast cash turnaround.
GET IN TOUCH
If you would like to know more about R&D Tax Credits and how your business may be eligible, please get in touch through the form below and one of our team will be in touch.
Want to know more?
Find out more...
Research and Development Claims
The ways in which organisations adapt to the changing economic environment may be innovative, creative or technologically-driven. All of these have an element of R&D, and any company can make a claim under the UK’s R&D tax credit regimes. So why do so many companies dismiss this opportunity?
Why Companies Miss Out On R&D Tax Claims
Gary Collins Partner, and Head of Intellectual Property talks us through claiming R&D tax credits and why companies do not always make the most of this tax incentive.