As a new audit committee member in Local Government, it can be a challenge to hit the ground running, whilst at the same time gaining a meaningful understanding of your role and remaining focused on the key issues.
Our team of experts have put together two videos which we hope will help. In the first recording, The Role of the Audit Committee, experts at Mazars explain what audit committee members need to be aware of; how to develop a strong and effective Audit Committee and what questions you should be asking so that an Audit Committee helps public bodies develop good governance, ethical values, effective financial management and reporting to build and maintain public trust and confidence.
The areas discussed included (feel free to jump to the sections of the recording that are of most interest to you):
- What is an Audit Committee? (00:58 – Abbie Chapman)
- Audit Committee formation (04:55 – Sophie Taylor)
- Audit Committee proceedings (12:12 – Tim Robinson)
- External Audit and the other external responsibilities (20:15 – Julia Pope)
In the second video, The Role of the Audit Committee – Panel discussion by Audit Committee members our external panellists of Audit Committee members discuss areas including: how to create a successful Audit Committee, the positive impact their role has on the organisations they work with in the areas of effective financial management, governance and member recruitment, training, and retention.
The panellists include:
- John Chesshire, Audit Committee Chair, London Borough of Hillingdon
- Diana Melville, Governance Advisor CIPFA
- Tim Render, Audit Committee Chair, North East Lincolnshire Council
- Councillor Sue Rawlins, Audit Committee Chair, Lincolnshire County Council
To find out more watch the recordings below:
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the topics featured, please get in touch.
Get in touch