Julien Irving Partner - Restructuring Services
Julien has over 25 years of experience supporting and advising companies and businesses that require restructuring, and working with all stakeholders to achieve the best outcome. His clients include Banks, Asset Based Lenders, Private Equity Houses, Niche Funders and Directors.
He has significant experience in turnaround and insolvency assignments (primarily as Administrator or as a Supervisor in a Company Voluntary Arrangement), with a view to rescuing the business. Julien has expertise in complex insolvency assignments, in particular the Financial Services and the Professional Services sectors (particularly legal practices). Consequently, he has developed strong relationships with
the Financial Conduct Authority, FSCS, London Stock Exchange and the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
Julien is a Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, an appointment taking licensed insolvency practitioner affiliated by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, and is a Member of the Association of Business Recovery Professionals (R3).
Prior to joining Mazars, Julien worked as a Director of an international mid-tier accountancy practice, and subsequently was a Director and Shareholder of a leading and national insolvency practice. During his career, Julien was seconded to the Royal Bank of Scotland for 15 months to assist and advise senior Directors on the turnaround of distressed companies within the Bank’s portfolio, and also provided technical
assistance to optimise asset recoveries in the event customers had to undergo a formal insolvency process.
Julien adopts a hands-on approach to all assignments, agreeing and setting clear objectives with a view to achieving the best outcome for all
stakeholders. He has a track record of rescuing businesses that preserves goodwill, asset value and jobs. In parallel, Julien has strong project management skillsets that enables the successful delivery of the objectives on any assignments.
Recent selected projects include:
- Financial Services: Lead
- Special Administrator of an Investment Bank (and stockbroker) based in London, requiring the safe return of £250m of assets and cash to c 20,000 customers.
- Pension Advisory: Advised
- a prominent SIPP provider that lead to a sale of the business to a third party and regulated entity.
- Retail: Joint
- Administrator of a national chain of burger restaurants leading to the sale of a large proportion of the business to a third party, preserving c500 jobs.
- Legal Sector: Joint
- Supervisor of a significant general practice, resulting in the reconstruction of the business by way of a Partnership Voluntary Arrangement which completed successfully. Joint Administrator of a significant general practice, effecting the successful sale of the business and preserving 90 jobs.
- Engineering and Manufacturing: Joint
- Administrator of a manufacturer of valves for the oil and gas industry leading to the successful sale of the business to two independent third parties.
- Perfume wholesaler: Joint
- Administrator of a global supplier in the perfume industry. Traded the company in Administration for 3 months effecting a reconstruction of the business, and subsequently leading to a successful sale of the business.
- Food Manufacturer and Retail Outlet Chain: Joint
- Supervisor of a bakery and chain of 45 shops in the food retail sector. Reconstruction of the portfolio and successful completion of the CVA preserving c700 jobs.